Where are the new printers located?
- The new printer is in ATEC 3.4C2. It is on the third floor across from the mail room.
- You can access the room using your Comet Card. There is a card swipe next to the door.
- There is a second printer in the second floor breakroom, ATC 2.708, accessible with your office key.
Who has access to this printer?
- ATEC Faculty, Staff, and Teaching Assistants automatically receive access to the copier room and the printer itself. There is no need to request access; all current and new members of these groups will automatically receive access. If you have access issues, please contact email@example.com or call extension 7515.
- Research labs can set up and request access for their student workers through firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students do not have access to either printer. The nearest public printers are located in the library next door.
How do I print? How do I get this printer installed on my computer?
- If you would like to schedule a time for a Lab Tech to visit and install the printer on your device, please email us at email@example.com
- The installation of the printer to your device will install two print queues, black/white and color. When printing a document, you will be able to choose between the two queues. Black and white is a cheaper option ($0.06/page), and will be your system’s default preference. The color queue is more expensive ($0.25/page), and should only be used when necessary.
- Once you have selected the proper queue, the print job is sent to the printer and is ready to be released and processed once you swipe your Comet Card.
How do I scan or copy documents with the printer?
- In order to use the copier and scanning functionality on the KM Printers you must first swipe your Comet Card through the card reader to login to the printer.
- Afterwards, press the Home button near the logout button and then press the Fax/Scan button on the main menu in order bring up the scanning options or the Copy button to bring up the copy options.
How do I use the card reader on the printer? Why do we have it?
- To utilize the printer, you will first need to swipe your Comet Card through the card reader located on the side table. The use of your Comet Card ensures printing security, as only you will be able to release your sent print jobs.
- The Comet Card can be swiped in either direction.
- One of the benefits of the card reader is it allows for more privacy when printing. Your job will not be released until you scan your Comet Card on the printer. This system also helps us eliminate excessive printing, so we can save a few trees!
What is the quota system? What if I go over?
- The quota system allocates specific funds for TA sponsored printing. When a TA exhausts their individual quota, they will no longer be able to print for free and will default to using their available personal Comet Cash. If a TA has a quota issue, they should report it to their Faculty Supervisor, who can then contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a quota modification with an appropriate justification. Please note that excessive personal printing may result in a request for increased quota being denied.
- If a Research Assistant is needing access to the printer, please contact email@example.com with business justification, list of RAs, and desired quota limitation. Funds for RA printing will need to be allocated through a cost center transfer.
- Faculty and Staff have unlimited quota, but we will track usage and note egregious use. When a Faculty or Staff member swipes their card on the reader, a monetary amount will appear, and when they print, the monetary amount will decrease. It may look like they only have certain funds, but this is purely for tracking purposes – the monetary amount on the screen simply correlates to usage.
Why are we moving to this new quota system?
- The system used to manage the new printing system is called Pharos. It is used by all public use MFP at UT Dallas including the OIT printers and Library printers.
- Moving to Pharos allows ATEC to be in line with OIT and how the rest of the campus works.
- The printers and copiers provided by ATEC are for ATEC employees and their work purposes, and this quota system ensures we are meeting the needs of these employees first and foremost.
Can I ask someone to pick up my printout for me?
- In order to release a print from your computer/login, your Comet Card needs to be swiped at the printer/copier where you wish to release the print job.
How will the system work for Teaching Assistants?
- A Teaching Assistant should have a high enough quota to cover at least 300 black and white pages for the semester per class.
- To help our TAs avoid going over quota, we encourage Faculty members to print their own syllabi for the start of the semester and rely on their TAs to print other course work.
- If a TA has a quota issue, they should report it to their Faculty Supervisor, who can then contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a quota modification with an appropriate justification.
Where can people print in the ATEC building?
- There are no public printers in the ATEC building. If you do not have access to the third floor printer and copier in 3.4C2, you will need to use the public printers in the library.
- The third floor admin suite printer will be removed in early September.
- There will be a second multi-function printer located in 2.708. We will notify you of its availability.
What can the printer in ATC 3.4C2 do?
- Prints in both black & white and color.
- Two queues are available to choose from
- Black and white ($0.06/page) – System Default
- Color ($.25/page)
- Copy ($0.06/page for B&W, $0.25/page for Color)
- Scan to email
- Staple (corner, 2 staple on side)
- Hole punch (2 or 3 hole)
There is a maintenance issue with the printer. What do I do?
- Potential issues: out of paper, out of ink, paper jam, room cleanliness issues.
- Contact atec_tech at utdallas.edu or call them at extension 7515.