Table of contents:
What is a Pathway/Concentration?
The School of Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication has one major: Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication (ATEC). Within that one major, students can choose a pathway/concentration to determine the group of courses that they can take. Currently, there are four pathways:
- Critical Media Studies
- Design and Production
Each student who is accepted into the School of ATEC, will explore the foundations of ATEC through coursework in design, imaging, critical thinking, and more, as well as a curated selection of upper-level courses in one or more areas of ATEC. In addition to exploring all that ATEC has to offer, students on the Design and Production pathway/concentration can take advanced coursework in multiple fields of applied design, such as UX design, sound design, and digital video.
To pursue a more specialized pathway/concentration in Animation, Critical Media Studies, or Games, students will need to complete a Pathway/Concenration Application.
Benefits of a Specialized Pathway/Concentration
Students who apply and are accepted on the Animation, Critical Media Studies, or Games Pathways/Concentrations will:
- Be given priority access to advanced courses in their field. For example, Animation Pathway/Concentration students will not need to apply for Animation 2, and will be able to enroll in that class as long as they have the prerequisite.
- Have their Pathway/Concentration listed on their official transcript.
If you are interested in applying for a pathway in Animation, Critical Media Studies, or Games,
- Explore the UT Dallas catalog for course information and pathway/concentration degree requirements. To access the catalog, click here.
- Review the application information found on this wiki to prepare for your application process.
- Make an appointment with an Advising Peer Mentor for a student perspective on the pathways/concentrations, if you are unsure.
- Make an appointment with your advisor to plan future semesters and prepare for the application process.
- Check this wiki on a regular basis for any updates to the application process.