Table of contents:
Pathway/Concentration and Application Overview
All students accepted into the Bachelor of Arts in Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication (ATEC) are placed on the Design and Production pathway/concentration. An application is required to declare an Animation, Critical Media Studies, or Games pathway/concentration. The application is designed to assess the skills, abilities, and overall preparedness of students applying for the Animation, Critical Media Studies, or Games pathway/concentration, to their Bachelor of Arts in Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication. This application must be submitted for review by faculty within your intended pathway/concentration. Upon acceptance into the intended pathway/concentration, a student may officially declare it as a sub-plan of their major with their academic advisor.
ATEC Pathways/Concentrations that require applications are:
- Critical Media Studies
The application process for Animation, Critical Media Studies, and Games are highly competitive. Acceptance by the University of Texas at Dallas and the declaration of a major in Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication is not a guarantee of approval to add a pathway/concentration in Animation, Critical Media Studies, or Games. An application submission to a pathway/concentration is not a requirement for graduation. Previous academic record and application materials will be evaluated in reference to the best work submitted by all applications.
Criteria for evaluation include:
- High academic achievement
- Evidence of problem-solving skills and critical thinking
- The ability to express ideas clearly in writing, and
- Satisfactory completion of all parts of the Pathway/Concentration Application
If an applicant fails to gain enrollment on the first attempt, he or she may apply again the following semester. Students are only allowed two (2) attempts. Only one application per student will be accepted each semester.
Students eligible to apply for a pathway/concentration must:
- If a student began at UT Dallas as a freshman student, they will need to complete two (2) long semesters (Fall/ Spring), preferably including some courses in the School of ATEC.
- If a student began at UT Dallas as a transfer student, they will need to complete one (1) long semester (Fall/ Spring), preferably including some courses in the School of ATEC.
- Be following the Fall 2017 degree plan or later
- Have more than 10 classes remaining to gradaute regardless of concentration
- Be in good standing; (2.0+ overall and major GPA)
- See concentration checklists for specifics on course grade requirements
General Application Timeline
Week 3: Pathway/Concentration Information Session
Week 5: Pathway/Concentration Application Due
Week 8: Students Notified about Application Decisions
Week 10: Schedule for the Following Semester is Released, and Enrollment Dates are Assigned in Orion
Week 12: Registration Begins
Instructions for the Online Pathway/Concentration Application
Eligible applicants (see eligibility above) will receive an application link to their UTD email account. Before starting the online application, be sure to complete all requested essays, work samples, etc. and have all of you materials ready to submit. If your application times out, or you close out at any time, it is not guaranteed that you will be able to recover your original application, and you may need to start over. If any changes need to be made to your application once it is submitted, please email ATECadvising@utdallas.edu.