Table of contents:

This page contains answers to questions frequently asked by ATEC students.

Course Planning:

What is an Upper-Level Elective?

There are two types of classes offered at UTD - upper-level classes and lower-level classes.  Upper-level classes begin with the number 3 or 4.  Lower-level classes begin with the number 1 or 2.  An example of a lower-level class would be ATCM 2301.  An example of an upper-level class would be ATCM 4397.  The level of the course, generally, indicates level of difficulty.  Lower-level courses are more introductory, whereas, upper-level courses are more advanced.  All students pursuing a bachelor's degree at UTD must complete 51 upper-level hours.  Therefore, 12 of the 15 hours of free elective credit on the ATEC degree plans must be upper-level.

How many hours should I take each semester? 

On average, ATEC students take 15 credit hours per long semester (spring and fall) to stay on track to finish in about 4 years.  Students are, however, free to take full-time coursework (12 credit hours) or part-time coursework (less than 12 credit hours).

Students wanting to make good progress toward graduation should aim to take 30 credit hours per year.  These 30 hours can be completed in spring, fall, and/or summer terms.  Limited ATCM courses are available during the summer semester.  Students are not required to enroll during the summer semester.

Students who want to take classes in the Summer may decide to take 12 hours in Spring and Fall and 6 hours in the Summer.  These students have a lighter load during the long semesters but are still making the same amount of progress as the average ATEC student by completing 30 hours per academic year.

What is the maximum number of hours I can take each semester?

Students can take up to 18 credit hours in Spring and Fall and 15 credit hours in the Summer.  Students seeking to enroll in more than the maximum number of credit hours in a semester may petition to take more by contacting their academic advisor.  These students must demonstrate an ability to do well when enrolling above the maximum credit hours.

How do I know what classes to take next semester?

As an ATEC student, you will have to complete all courses listed in yellow on your digital degree plan in order to graduate.  Many of these courses can be taken at any time, as long as you complete the necessary prerequisites.  If you began in the ATEC program in 2017 or later, please request a copy of the Track Map from the Undergraduate Advising Office for a semester-by-semester list of course recommendations based on your interests.  Since every student has unique interests, students should seek to discuss specific course options with ATEC faculty and advising staff. 


Dates and Deadlines:

What are important deadlines for registration? 

All important university deadlines can be found on the Academic Calendar.  Each semester, students should check the following important deadlines and dates: 

  • Census Day 
  • Last Day to Add/Swap 
  • Drop/Withdrawal Deadlines 


Test and Transfer Credit:

How do I get course credits for AP/IB/CLEP test scores and Dual Credit?

In order to obtain course credit for AP, IB, or CLEP, you must submit official score reports to UTD.  This is the case even if you have already submitted the test scores to a previous institution.  

If you completed Dual Credit coursework during high school, you must submit an official transcript from the college that was working with your high school.  In order to receive dual credit, a grade of C or higher is required.

How do I know which classes transfer to UTD if I want to take classes at a Community College?

  1. Core Classes, lower-level Computer Science classes, ARTS 1316, and lower-level courses for minors may be taken at a community college. 
  2. Community colleges do not offer upper-level courses.  
  3. Use the Transfer Equivalent System to see what classes have already been approved to transfer to UTD.  The Texas Common Course Numbering System also contains course names and numbers of common coursework across the state of Texas.
  4. If you are taking courses abroad, set up an advising appointment to discuss enrollment plans.  The final course review does not occur until after the official transcript has been received by UTD.
  5. Prior to taking a course off-campus, confirm with your academic advisor and an advisor at the community college that you are taking the correct courses.


Academic Performance:

What if my grades suffer this semester? 

If you are having trouble in your courses, the first place to address your difficulty is with your professor.  You can meet with your professor during their office hours to come up with solutions for improving your grade and your learning experience.  You can drop a course prior to the Add/Drop Deadline or withdraw from a course prior to the Withdrawal Deadline.  Check the UTD Academic Calendar for the current semester for these deadlines.  Contact your advisor for assistance withdrawing from courses.  Remember that low grades affect your academic standing.

What do I do if I am placed on probation, academic warning, or suspension? 

For more information about Academic Standing from the UT Dallas catalog, click here.  Students below good academic standing should schedule an appointment with their Academic Advisor.  To schedule an appointment, click here.


Scholarships, Internships/Careers, and Graduation:

How can I determine the semester in which I will graduate from UTD?

  1. Determine how many classes you have left to take by checking your degree plan.
  2. Divide the total number of classes you have left by the number of classes you plan to take each semester to calculate how many semesters you have left to graduate.

Remember that, on average, ATEC students take 5 classes (15 hours) per semester or 10 classes (30 hours) per year.

How do I prepare for and/or avoid excessive hours? 

  1. Make sure the courses you choose fit your degree plan before taking them. 
  2. If you need to drop a course, try to do so by Census Day.  Courses dropped by Census Day do not count toward excessive hours. 
  3. Try to avoid failing courses and withdrawing from courses unnecessarily.  Failing grades and Withdrawals count toward excessive hours. 

To view the full UTD Excessive Hours policy, click here.

How do I prepare for and/or explore potential career paths related to ATEC? 

The UTD Career Center assigns Career Consultants to each school at UTD.  The ATEC Career Consultant is available to meet with students to discuss their career interests, as well as internship and job shadowing opportunities.  

An ATEC academic advisor can assist you in identifying the appropriate pathway and courses to pursue based on your career interests.

ATEC faculty are also great resources for industry-specific conversations.  Set up a meeting with a professor by email to discuss your interests or visit them during their office hours.

Are there any ATEC-related scholarships? 

ATEC publicizes ATEC-related scholarship opportunities on the ATEC website.  The Greater Texas Foundation Scholarship (Tech Titans) is specifically for School of ATEC majors and is awarded to one or two students annually.  For more information about ATEC-related scholarships, click here.  Students should also check the Scholarships page on the UTD website to view other aid opportunities for which they may be eligible to apply.  To view UTD scholarships, click here.


What if I am not sure if ATEC is the right major for me or which pathway to pursue? 

If you are not sure what you want to study within ATEC, please schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.  If you would like to explore other majors at UTD, you may schedule an appointment with the Undeclared Advising Office: 

Undeclared Advising
Eric Welgehausen 
EricW at utdallas.edu 
MC 1.312


Page last modified on Thursday November 11, 2021 16:34:29 GMT-0000